ONION CHUTNEY

onion chutney


This is my favorite accompaniment with aloo paratha and dosa.

INGREDIENTS
  1. 1 onion, sliced into thin slices (200 gms.)
  2. 1 Tbsp oil
  3. 1 Tbsp tamarind pulp
  4. 2 dried red chilies
  5. salt to taste (1/2 tsp)
  6. water as needed

METHOD

  • Using a heavy bottom wok works well for sautéing onions efficiently using less oil. I have used a flat bottom pan but I highly recommend using a wok, if you have one. 
  • Heat a non-sticky pan on medium high heat. When the pan is warm , add oil , when the oil gets hot add the sliced onions and red chilies  and sauté  , till the onions become slightly brown.



  • Turn off the stove and let it cool down. Put it in a blender  along with salt to taste , tamarind pulp and some water and grind to a coarse/fine puree.
         

         





OTHER VARIATIONS

Onion tomato chutney
  • Instead of the tamarind pulp , add 1 small tomato , chopped into the sautéed onions. Sauté the tomatoes for a minute . Let cool and grind.


NOTES
  • My friend gave me a bottle of idily podi. I added 2 Tbsp of idily podi to the onion chutney while blending. It adds volume and also tastes very good.


Comments

Popular Posts