DATE-TAMARIND CHUTNEY- no oil recipe

tamarind chutney

I love to dip my samosas into this sweet and sour chutney. 
INGREDIENTS

  1. 5 dates pitted(I have used mejdool dates)
  2. tamarind pulp extracted from 1/4 cup loosely packed wet tamarind soaked in 1/2 cup water (I have used frozen tamarind pulp cubes)
  3. 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  4. 1/2 tsp coriander powder (optional)
  5. 1 tsp chili powder
  6. salt to taste
METHOD
  • Put the pitted dates and tamarind pulp in a 10 inch non-sticky pan.(Don't use a smaller pan , a mistake that I did. Its very difficult to stir). Turn on the stove and bring the mixture to a boil.







  • When the mixture starts to boil , add the cumin powder , chili powder and salt. Stir , cook for a minute . Check if the amount of sweetness and sourness is balanced. Check for salt. Turn of the stove.





  • Dilute if necessary. I like it thick.
  • The chutney does not store in the refrigerator for long. So I freeze it and store it in the freezer.
          

          


NOTES
  • Whenever there is left over channa masala , I like to put that in a bowl , Thaw cubes of the frozen tamarind chutney and frozen  cubes of mint chutney , top it with sev and chopped onions and enjoy a homemade channa chaat.
  • For 1 cube of tamarind pulp , I use 2 cubes of frozen cubes of mint chutney.





Comments

Popular Posts