SAMBHARAM/SPICED BUTTERMILK

spiced buttermilk

I stayed at my friend's house , when I was in my tenth standard. Both her mother and father were  awesome cooks. After each board exam my friend and I would come back at around noon. Aunty(my friend's mom ) would be eagerly waiting for us. As soon as we  come back  , she would give us chilled buttermilk spiced with ginger , green chili and curry leaves. It was a relief to drink that chilled cup of buttermilk in the sweltering heat.
Back then , buttermilk was obtained by churning yogurt , skimming the butter that eventually floats on the top and the remaining product was the buttermilk. I have done this churning in my grandmother's house , just for fun . But it was a treat to skim out the butter. This recipe is a copycat version of the MILMA sambharam that is sold in stores all over Kerala(India).


INGREDIENTS
  1. 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt(I have used thick store bought yougurt)
  2. 1 tsp chopped ginger
  3. 4 curry leaves
  4. water as required to dilute(I needed 1 cup)
  5. 2 green chilies , seeds removed
  6. salt to taste(1/4 tsp)
METHOD

  • Put ginger , curry leaves , 2 Tbsp. of the yougurt and blend. Then add the rest of the yogurt and a little bit of water and blend again.
  • Sieve through a colander , into a bowl.
  • Add water , sufficient enough to dilute the yogurt. Add the green chilies and salt,  give it a good stir , check for salt and serve.
     


  • Serve it with rice or serve it as a drink.
NOTES
  • The green chilis can be added in the blender too. I don't like too much heat , so I add it in the sieved liquid.

Comments

Popular Posts