CHIA SEED FALOODA

easy falooda with chia seeds
The very few times , I have had  falooda , I would tell myself , "this is semiya payasam sans the cardamom , jelly , fruits , nuts and icecream". I never thought of making it though , until I made chia pudding . The texture of the soaked chia seeds was so much like the seeds that is used in falooda. I had some leftover chia pudding and  some jelly( my kids fav!) , in the fridge. Well ! it seemed like a good time to make falooda. I just had to make the payasam, toast some nuts and chop some apples(only fruit that I had in hand). I didn't have icecream , and didn't want go to the store just for buying the icecream. Who says you need to have all of the ingredients on hand , just put it all together and make your own signature falooda. So this falooda is sans the scoop of icecream . I was sure that my husband would comment , "but doesn't falooda have icecream in it ". And that's the start of another interesting food argument. 

 I did surf the internet for a simple recipe . This here is the one I got inspired from.  I swap fresh chopped strawberries for the jelly(jelly is more tastier , obviously) , until the kids start to complain. Then for once I use jelly , just to heed to their complaints. Let them indulge in some fun food , once in a while.

INGREDIENTS
  1. 2 cups milk
  2. 1/4 cup semiya
  3. 1/4 cup sugar
  4. 1 Tbsp. cornflour
  5. pinch of salt
  6. 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  7. 1 cup finely chopped apple sprinkled with 2 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp of vanilla essence
  8. 1 cup chopped jelly(I have used store bought jelly)
  9. 1/4 cup slightly toasted almond slivers, chopped
  10. 1 Tbsp. chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup milk or water plus 2 tsp sugar 

METHOD

MAKE-AHEAD
  • Slightly toast the almonds , in a pan , just until a nice nutty aroma comes. Keep a close watch . Don't overdo it and don't let it brown. Let it cool . Hand chop it or just crush it with your hands(if using slivered almonds) , store it in a box and keep it aside. I loved the texture of the almonds. I had stored the store-bought slivered almonds in the freezer. I don't know, if that's the reason , the toasted , chopped almonds had a nice crunch in the falooda .

  • Make the jelly ahead. Refrigerate it after it sets , slice it into small pieces. I have used a chopper to slice them . Store in a box and keep it aside.





  • Soak the chia seeds in milk or water with 1 Tbsp sugar. Keep it aside for atleast 2 hours or refrigerate it overnight.


  • Chop the apples and sprinkle it with 1 tsp sugar , stir well. Keep aside or refrigerate it.

MAKE THE PAYASAM

  • In a sauce pan , add 1-1/2 cup milk ,sugar,salt,semiya and bring to a boil. Mix 1 Tbsp. cornflour in the remaining 1/2 cup milk,stir well.Add this to the boiled milk.Simmer boil for 2-3 minutes. Turn off . When cool , add the vanilla essence.







BRING IT ALL TOGETHER

  • Make a checklist. Also everything should be cold.

  1. jelly
  2. nuts
  3. semiya payasam
  4. soaked chia seeds
  5. chopped fruits ( I have used chopped apples)
  6. A tall glass. I used a champagne glass , that I had . That fit the right amount for us. 



  • Put all of these on the table.





  • Layer the jelly at the bottom , followed by chia seeds, chopped apples ,nuts , payasam and repeat as much as you want .









  • Don't have a tall falooda glass. Don't fret , just use your regular glass.




NOTES

  • I tried to freeze a little jelly that was left over. But after thawing it , the jelly turned to liquid. 
  • I tried to swap jelly with pomegranate but didn't work out.
  • Its so tempting to cook the chia seeds along with the semiya while cooking. So I tried cooking chia seeds , semiya in milk , after it cooled down , added chopped apples and nuts , but the layered falooda tastes better,

Comments

Popular Posts