SALMON CAKES


Being a Keralite, I miss the different varieties of fish that I used to eat in Kerala. Back in Kerala, fish was a staple. Chicken was consumed, maybe once in a week. I have never used canned products. I had tried to avoid it for a number of years. The fish that I commonly cook in Seattle is Trout and Tilapia. During the summer months, there would be a fresh salmon fish stall in Costco. I would buy the whole fish, cut it, clean it and make curry or fry it. I was really looking for more varieties. Slowly I started opening up to the option of using canned fish. The first canned fish that I bought was the canned sardines in oil. I make cutlets out of canned sardines. Then I was introduced to these fish cakes by my cousin. They were really good. I have been making these fish cakes ever since. I came up with my own recipe. 
Pairs well with corn salad. 
 
INGREDIENTS

  1. 3 cans salmon, drained (1 can is 170 gms. boneless and skinless)
  2. onion, finely chopped, 100 gms. 
  3.  red bell pepper, 100 gms (green bell pepper can be used, but I prefer red)
  4. 3 green chilies, chopped finely
  5. cucumber, 100 gms, finely chopped. 
  6. 1 tsp pepper
  7. 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard, plus more to taste
  8. 4 Tbsp corn flour
  9. 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  10. 1/2 cup oil
  11. 1/4 salt (go easy of the salt, dijon mustard is really sour, taste after mixing in all the ingredients and then add salt only if required, also fish cakes taste good with less salt)

METHOD 

  • Drain the fish. I drain it in a colander and keep it in the colander for at least 10 minutes.


  • Add the rest of the ingredients except the corn flour. Thoroughly mix it with a fork for about 5 minutes. Using a fork helps to break down the canned salmon. 









  • When the salmon is mixed well, add in the corn flour and mix well. 



  • Roll the mix into small cutlets. Meanwhile heat a small non-sticky pan on medium-high heat. When the pan is warm, add 1/4 cup oil. The rest of the oil can be used as required. 
  • I have used a small 6-inch non-sticky skillet for shallow frying. 

                                       



 

  • When the oil is hot, add the cutlets and shallow fry them on both sides, turning over midway.
  • Line a plate with napkin paper (kitchen towel) for holding the fried fish cakes. 




         

NOTES
  • The finely chopped cucumber gives a nice crunch. 
  • I tried pulsing the onion, green chilies, capsicum, but it releases the juices which makes the mixture more wet which is not favorable. 
  • I tried without the flour but the cakes crumble. I tried with egg as a binder, but I like adding flour better. 
  • Pairs well with prawn less fried rice. 
  • Dijon mustard was a nice addition.
  • The canned salmon when opened does not have a pleasant smell.
  • Initially I added a lot of chilies for the heat, but biting the green chilies was an irritation so reduced the chilies and added pepper instead. 
  • Tried rolling the cakes in the flour instead of adding the flour into the mixture but dusting and shallow frying absorbs a lot of oil so reverted back to adding the cornflour into the mixture.
  • Use a small pan, small pan works well. You might think that using a bigger pan helps gets the frying done faster but the double the amount of oil needs to be used. Either use a small pan or use a big wide pan on which you can fry the cutlets all at once in the said amount of oil.
  • The capsicum and cucumber are optional. Only onions, green chilies can be used to make the cakes. 
  • Mustard and turmeric go well, Honey mustard: Does it ring a bell. 




Comments

Popular Posts