പഴം പൊരി - kerala banana fritters

pazham pori

This is my favorite snack and I am sure this is the favorite snack of almost all Malayalees. When we were kids ,whenever my mother makes this , she reserves some for the next day. She packs the leftover pazham poris as a treat for lunch at school. It would just be 2 small pieces but I would take my time to eat it , tasting every bit of it. It was a very precious treat and I must say, it tastes even better the next day.


INGREDIENTS

  1. 1 cup minus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour 
  2. 1 cup minus 2 Tbsp water
  3. 1/4 +1/8 tsp salt
  4. a pinch of turmeric(optional)
  5. a pinch of baking powder or baking soda plus 1 tsp lemon juice (optional but keeps the crust crispy when fried and soft when it cools down)
  6. 2 Tbsp rice powder for crispness
  7. 4 big ethapazham

METHOD
  • Combine the flours ,turmeric and salt. Whisk it well.

  • Make a well in the center and gradually add the water, while stirring the batter , without lumps. I  like the batter to be thick. Add more water according to desired consistency. The batter can be made ahead and kept in the fridge.


  • When it's time to fry , heat a kadai(wok) on medium -high heat. When the wok is warm , add sufficient oil for frying .Wait 5-7 minutes for the oil to become hot.

  • While the oil is warming up , peel and slice the bananas. I like the slices to be as long as my finger and about quarter inch thick.
  • Also line a plate with paper towels to hold the fried pazham  poris. Lining them with paper towels helps to drain out the excess oil.




  • Add 3 slices into the batter and using a fork , move it around , so that the pieces are coated with the batter. 
  • Now turn the heat to high and using the fork , lift each piece and drop it into the hot oil.



  • Using a fork helps to drain out the excess batter , back into the bowl , before dropping the batter covered slice into the oil. Continue doing this for the rest of the slices. My kadai can fit only 4-5 slices. Don't overcrowd the wok , else the fritters won't be crispy. It will be soggy and also tends to absorb more oil.


  • Fry the slice on high heat , 2 minute on one side and 1 minute on the other side . Also maintain the temperature of the oil by switching between high heat and medium-high heat. This will keep the oil from getting very hot. Also see to it that the oil is hot while dropping the slices and also draining out the slices.
  • Using a slotted spoon drain out the pazham poris.
        

        

  • Continue with the next batch , until done. 
  • And like I said it tastes even better the next day.


NOTES
  • If ethapazahm (kerala banana) is not readily available , try it out with robusta banana. I was reluctant at first , when my husband suggested this to me , but it was good when I tried it out. It cooks faster and is not as firm as ethapazham, though.

Comments

Popular Posts