PEANUT SALAD -kerala style

peanut salad - kerala style
 This was one of the snacks, that was served for drinks during special occasions . Once in a while we (myself and all my cousins)would sneak in to the room where all the daddies ,uncles … were having their pegs. We would have a couple spoonfuls of the peanut salad and the dry roast beef. My favorite was this peanut salad. I would never miss a chance to eat a handful of this salad.
Fast forward  a "lot" , of years,  I had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and I was always on the lookout for sugar free snacks. This one was one of them. Whenever I had a craving for a snack , I would make this salad and eat.

INGREDIENTS

  1. 1/4 cup roasted peanuts 
  2. 2 Tbsp. onions washed in cold water to remove its heat
  3. 1/2 tsp chili powder
  4. 1 tsp. lemon juice
  5. salt to taste



NOTES
  • I always have roasted peanuts in my pantry. Ideally  just mix in all the ingredients and the salad is ready. But the onions I use , have a  pungent aftertaste ,that I need to get rid of. So this what I do.
  • If you are planning to use the salad right away , soak the chopped onions in icy cold water for atleast 10 minutes and then squeeze the water out. This reduces the pungent aftertaste of the onions.







  •  Add the squeezed onions , chili powder ,peanuts , chili powder, lemon juice .Serve immediately. If kept a longer time , the peanuts will become soggy.
                                          



NOTES
  • I soak and squeeze a lot of chopped onions, add lemon juice ,chili powder, salt to taste and keep it in the fridge. Whenever I feel like having peanut salad , I just take a little bit of the pickled onions and add the desired amount of peanuts.

  • If the peanuts are very big , chop it into smaller pieces.

  • Skin-on roasted peanuts can also be used.
  • If you want to prep ahead,  keep the peanuts, the onion mixed with with chili and the lemon juice in separate bowls. Then mix everything together just before you're ready to serve. The onions will turn a vibrant pink while they sit in the lemon juice, which is quite pleasing. 

Comments

Popular Posts