MINT-ONION-TOMATO CHUTNEY - Hotel Aryaas Park, dosa accompaniment
The first time I tasted dosa with mint chutney at Hotel Aryaas Park in Kochi, Kerala, I was surprised. It’s nothing like the typical mint chutney that comes with kebabs; this one has a different consistency and flavor that goes well with dosa and idlis. Inspired by that unforgettable taste, I set out to recreate it at home and came up with a recipe that is close to the original's consistency and flavor.
INGREDEINTS
- 200 gms. chopped onion
- 1 tomato
- 4 garlic
- small piece of ginger
- 1/2 cup mint leaves or 1/4 cup dried mint
- 1/2 cup. coriander leaves
- green chilies, seeds removed
- tamarind pulp as per taste(15 gms. wet tamarind soaked, use as needed)
- 1/2 cup coconut
- salt to taste(1/4 tsp)
- 3 Tbsp oil
METHOD
- Heat a pan. When warm, add oil. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté, then add the tomato, ginger, mint, and coriander leaves. Sauté for a couple of minutes till the water dries up, then add salt, stir well, turn off the stove, and add the shredded coconut. Dab and keep covered. Let the coconut warm up.
- If using dried mint leaves, sauté them earlier along with the onions.
- When cool, pulse it in the blender until a coarse mixture forms,adding tamarind pulp to taste.
NOTES
- Some recipes call for roasted channa and urad dal. I tried that, but the recipe above gives me the consistency I want.




Comments