AMBROSIA

 

Ambrosia

If  you put fruit salad outside and allowed the icecream to melt , then you get ambrosia. That's how I can relate to Ambrosia. I tasted Ambrosia at my cousin's house for the first time. I just could not stop myself . I don't remember , how many servings I had that day. She also makes the best biriyani in town 😋.
My cousin uses half and half for the ambrosia. I usually have leftover heavy whipping cream in the fridge and use that for making the ambrosia .

INGREDIENTS

Recipe with half and half:

  1. 1 cup half and half (or 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream plus 1/4 cup water )
  2. 2 Tbsp. small marshmallows 
  3. 1/2 cup fresh pineapple pieces cooked in 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1/4 cup water 
  4. 1/2 cup orange segments
  5. 1 Tbsp. sugar plus more as per taste 
  6. 1/2 tsp vanilla essence 
  7. pinch of salt
METHOD

To cook the pineapple:
  • Put pineapple, water and sugar in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and then simmer boil for 2 minutes. Let cool. Store in the fridge for later use.
                                       






  • Combine the pineapple along with the syrup, the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate for atleast half an hour or until ready to serve. If using heavy whipping cream. Dilute the ambrosia using a little water if you feel it's very thick.




NOTES
  • My cousin uses canned crushed pineapples. She drains the juice and uses them. Canned pineapples work fine too.
  • Why did I cook the pineapple?  Fresh pineapple made the ambrosia bitter. I tried with frozen pineapple, bitter again! So, if using fresh pineapples, the extra step of cooking is required. Don't skip it. Canned crushed pineapples do not have this problem.
  • Fresh orange segments can be used. No need to cook. No bitterness at all.
  • I tried with just heavy whipping cream without diluting it with water and the ambrosia was very thick. 
  • Reserve a few marshmallows for garnishing, if required.  


Comments

Popular Posts