തട്ടി കൂട്ട് കറി

thatti koottu curry

I had all the vegetables listed below, in my fridge. It was a little bit of all these except the plantains. The handful of beans were from my beans plant in the balcony.  A box of broiled coconut is always there in the fridge. I had to come up with some curry for rice. For the usual koottu curry I usually use chena which I didn't have. 
Sometimes brilliant ideas pop up on the spur of the moment and that's how I came up with this curry. Hence the name. It was tasty . Really really tasty. I knew that this kind of taste and flavor will not come the next time I make this . My husband confirmed this thought of mine with the comment, " This is a once in a lifetime curry that you made , I am sure you cannot duplicate this again". (His compliment reflects , how bad a cook I am 😕)

INGREDIENTS

  1. 2 plantains 
  2. 1/4 of a cabbage, 2-3 zucchini squash, handful of beans(about 500 gms. ) 
  3. 1/2 cup broiled coconut
  4. 1 Tbsp coriander powder
  5. 1 tsp chili powder
  6. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  7. 1/2 cup chopped onions(60 gms) 
  8. 4 garlic cloves chopped(8 gms.)
  9. 3 green chilies 
  10. 2 Tbsp oil 
  11. 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  12. 2 dried red chilies
  13. curry leaves
  14. 1 cup water
  15. salt to taste(2 tsp plus more to taste)

METHOD
  • Cut all the vegetables, put them in a cooker, add 1 cup water and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 1 whistle.

  • Meanwhile chop the onion and garlic. 
  • Heat a cheena chatti , when it is warm , add oil . when the oil is hot,add the mustard seeds, let the m splutter, then  add the chopped onions and garlic . Saute till the onions turn translucent.Then add in the red chilies.
  • Then add the spice powders and saute , the stove can be turned off . 
                                       







  • Add this to the pressure cooked vegetables. To this add curry leaves and broiled coconut. Add 1 cup of water and simmer boil for 2-3 minutes. 





  • Serve with kerala rice and sambharam. Also good with kumblanga curry . 


Other Variations

Cherupayar thatti koottu curry( My husband does not like cherupayar any other way except for this cherupayar koottu curry)
  • substitute 1/2 cup cherupayar for kaya. and don't use coriander powder 
  • use 1 cup broiled coconut
  • Rest of the ingredients and the method is the same

NOTES
  • I have used potatoes instead of plantain. Worked well. 
  • Its Koottu(blend) curry. Any leftover vegetables can be used. Tomato can be used in moderation though. Just half is the maximum size of a tomato that can be used. 

Comments

Popular Posts