KITCHEN LITTLE -apartment living



kitchen organisation
About 10 years back(in India) , I was always judgmental when I walked into other people's homes. Why? Because I was a the proud owner of a very well-kept apartment. Was it my doing? No . I had a full -time maid. She looked after the house like it was hers. She was honest , hardworking , loving , like a mother to me. Fast forward 10 years , I am on my own. We ,as a family split our chores. My husband does the vacuum cleaning, my son cleans the bathrooms and the rest is left to me . I am the lazy one . The others do their part as assigned.
                                           My home is not spic and span now , but its well organized. A well organized home , especially a well organized kitchen helps in doing the chores faster and with peace of mind. Apartment living calls for a well organized kitchen, even more , the kitchen being very small. 
Below are some of the tips and tricks , I have used to organize my kitchen for more than 6 years and still vouch by it.
This is my kitchen: 




Under/Over the sink Organization

  • I use command hooks and binder clips, a lot. They are convenient , easy to use and avoids the hassle of hammering in nails , which you would want to avoid when living in a rented apartment.
  • I have used command hooks on the inside of the cabinet door under the kitchen sink.
  • I hang my gloves, washcloth, and scrub on these hooks , when they are dry.

  • So where do I hang them when they are wet or soon after use? I use command hooks right above the sink on which I hang them when they are wet.
          


  • A good substitute for kitchen towel holder: Use the cupboard just above the sink . Place the kitchen roll in the cupboard with the sheet of towel hanging out. Close the cupboard.
          

  • Easy to slide out and tear the paper . Since its directly above the sink , its easily accessible. But there's one disadvantage to it . When the paper roll is almost getting over , it tends to fall down , when you open the cabinet door. I am ok with it  and learnt how to avoid that. This is the best arrangement for a paper holder for me .

  • I also hang the colanders and flexible cutting board above the sink , using over the door hooks from Daiso Japan.This way you can hang them when they are wet and the water drips right into the sink. I do not shove them away into the cupboards after they are dry. These are things that I use a number of times a day and I do not want them shoved away in a cupboard just for neatness. I want them easily accessible.







Over the cupboard Organizing
  • I use measuring cups a lot and hence it has to be easily accessible , instead of being tucked away in a drawer. Another product from Daiso Japan , which I used to hang my measuring cups.



Spice Cupboard organization

I saw this DIY lazy susan on, Do it on a dime. I just bought 2, 9 inch cake pans and put marbles in between.

       
  • Voila ,you have a rotating organizer for spices in your kitchen.

  • This rotating spice tray  I bought from Daiso Japan.
  • 






  • The combination of command hooks and binder clips works well for my kitchen organization.

  • Yet another one from Daiso Japan , a plastic bag holder .


                                              

Comments

Popular Posts