GOOD OLD BREAD PUDDING!!!


bread pudding

My mother-in-law used to make this often, when my husband was a kid and hence ,bread pudding is his favorite. I have never really tasted bread pudding .My husband often requests this for his birthday , instead of cake. I tried soaking bread in my caramel custard recipe , it was good , but not perfect. My mother-in-law is no more , so I had to come up with the right consistency, myself. I found this bread pudding recipe in the book-The Portable Feast by Jeanne Kelley. When I came across this recipe in the book ,I knew that, this was just the recipe I was looking for!!I have tweaked it slightly .
I love topping it with chopped apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon before baking/steaming

INGREDIENTS

  1.  3 big bread, basically bread,cut into 1-inch pieces. to soak up all the liquid  
  2. 1-1/2 Tbsp. Butter
  3. 3/4 cup milk 
  4. 3 eggs
  5. 1 tsp vanilla essence
  6. 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar 
  7. salt not required , bread has sufficient salt

METHOD

  • Heat a pan on medium heat ,when warm add the butter.When the butter is melted , add the bread cubes.Toss the bread until they are lightly golden.





  • Mean while , put the eggs ,sugar,milk,vanilla essence,salt in the mixie and blend.



  • Transfer the bread slices to a pan. I have used my pudding pan here. Pour in the custard. Let stand for 20 minutes for the bread to completely soak up the custard.
  • After 20 minutes , sprinkle the top with some sugar.(1 Tbsp.)
  • Now there are 2 options for cooking this. Bake it or steam it in the pressure cooker.
BAKING

  • Bake in 350 degree pre-heated oven for 15 minutes ,just until the custard is set. If you keep it longer , the pudding will harden.
  • The pudding will be all fluffed up as soon as it comes out of the oven but will deflate a little bit.


STEAMING

  • Put a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water , on high heat. I use a trivet/separator in the cooker.
  • When the water starts to boil , put the pudding pan and cover it with a lid. Close the pressure cooker and cook on high for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles , turn off the pressure cooker.
  • Keep in the pressure cook for 20 minutes and then take it outside and let cool. Then refrigerate.

NOTES
  • Toasting the bread in butter is a necessary step.
  • Allow 20 minutes to soak.
  • Top the pudding with 2Tbsp. chopped pineapple just before baking/steaming. Dotting the top with pineapple slices here and there gives a good flavor
  •  Dot it with 2 Tbsp. chopped apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a different flavor.

Comments

Popular Posts