BOMBAUNTY'S OMELET

Omelette
When there is nothing else to eat with rice, an omelet is the easiest side dish, my mother would conjure up. Just beat the egg with a fork, add in some salt,chopped onions and green chilies and cook it till firm in a frying pan. This was the version of omelet that I had eaten all along till I got married...

When we were expecting our son, our first baby, I would alternate my stay between my husband's place and my house.The care given during the first pregnancy is simply ,out of this world. Everything was taken care off . My MIL's elder sister(we lovingly call her Bombie or Bombaunty, becuse she worked in Bombay) ,stays in my husband's house and she makes the best food , in the whole world. She would make spinach thoren just because it was good for the baby and me . I was served food on time .The menu each day revolved around my choices. All my favorites were cooked and nutrition was looked into. I have come across very few people who has the gift to feed and nourish other people lovingly and Bombaunty was one of them.
                     Every day, at 6 in the evening Bombie aunty used to make an omelet and serve it to me. Evening time was serial time for my mother-in-law and bombaunty. When an advertisement pops up on tv she would quickly go and  make the omelet for  me. That was the tastiest omelet I had ever eaten . Now my son is 15 and I serve him the same omelet. Instead of just putting in chopped onions and green chilies, she sautes the chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves, puts that into the beaten egg, adds a hint of pepper powder and then makes the omelet. I would say Bombaunty is the best cook in the world. Whatever she makes is tasty. She is a very gifted cook. Even at 88 years of age, she has not lost it. She still whips up delious meals. Bombaunty is the "King Midas" of cooking . Whatever she touches turns into a delicious dish. Her secret: Taste as you go.


INGREDIENTS
  1.  1 egg, beaten and salted
  2. 1 Tbsp. water( Why water? see Notes)
  3. 2 Tbsp onions , chopped
  4. 1 small green chili , seeds removed and chopped
  5. 2 curry leaves , halved
  6. a dash of pepper powder
  7. salt to taste
  8. 2 tsp oil

METHOD
  •  Prep all the ingredients. Beat the egg with a fork. Add salt and beat again. Then add water and beat again till the water is incorporated. 




  • Heat a pan on medium heat. When the pan is warm , add oil. When the oil is hot ,add in the chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves.Saute till the onions start to brown slightly.

  • Then turn off the stove and put this into the beaten egg , stir it , taste and check for salt and put the mixture back into the pan . Turn on the stove to medium heat. Cover and cook for a minute.




  • Open the lid , the egg must have firmed up by now. Turn off the stove , flip over the omelet and cover and keep for 30 seconds.When you open the lid , the omelet will be all fluffed up. It will deflate soon.


  •  The omelet is ready to be served.


Omelet without sauteing the onion mixture
  • Adding water to the beaten egg makes the omlette softer and stays softer for a longer time.  
  • Beat the egg and put in the chopped onions ,chilies, curry leaves , stir , add salt and make omelet as above.

Comments

Popular Posts