PUFFS


 My friend made puffs as a teatime snack when I visited her. That's when I realized that puffs can be made at home. I was really impressed. Puffs was something that I grew up eating as a weekend snack, obviously bought from the bakery. I wouldn't have dared to make puffs at home, but I missed it so much, here in the US. So, I dared to make it at home. But I wouldn't dare to make puff pastry sheets now! 😃. Nope! not going there.

For the filling:

  1. appr. 500 gms. minced meat or chopped chicken
  2. 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped(125 gms.)
  3. 2 green chilies chopped
  4. 2 tsp finely grated ginger 
  5. 2 tsp coriander powder
  6. 1/2 tsp pepper powder
  7. 1/2 tsp fancy garam masala
  8. 1/2 tsp aniseed powder
  9. salt to taste
  10. 1 tsp vinegar
  11. 2 Tbsp. oil
  12. 1 pack puff pastry sheets(530 gms , 5 ready to bake sheets, I have used Daily Delight brand)

METHOD

Preparing the chicken 
  • Chop the chicken as finely as possible. Prepare all the other ingredients. Keep the dry masalas in a bowl.
  • Heat a pan on medium-high heat. When warm, add oil. When the oil is hot , add the chopped onions , green chilies, ginger. Turn the heat to high and sauté till the onions turn slightly brown . 
  • Then add in the finely chopped chicken and sauté till well on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the dry spices and keep sautéing again for about 2 minutes. Now add salt and sauté again till the chicken is cooked through. When the water released from the chicken has almost vanished , reduce the heat to medium-high and spread the chicken till the water has completely vanished .
  • Turn off the heat and pour in the vinegar and give it a quick stir. Allow the filling to cool completely.
                                       








Preparing the puffs
  • Thaw the puff pastry sheets as per instructions. Preheat the oven to 400° F. 
  •  Cut the sheets into 2 and roll out the puff pastry sheets. I use a rolling pin to roll the sheets. Put in the filling and fold the sheets .Seal the edges with a fork.
  • Bake in the pre-heated (400℉) oven for 15 minutes.
                                       












NOTES
  • For a vegetarian alternative, you could use pulled jackfruit.
  • I roll out the sheets so that its not very thick. the puffs can be triangle or rectangle. Triangle works best for me. Don't roll it out to thin . This will affect the browning affect after baking
  • Give the puffs 15 minutes to cool down before serving. 
  • Each strip of Daily Delight puff pastry sheets is 9.5"×2.5". I cut each strip into 3 equal parts and then roll out each rectangle into a square shape about 4.5"× 4.5" appr.

Comments

Popular Posts